Tuesday, February 28, 2012


The first day of my internship went GREAT!! I started my day off with walking 2 ½ miles to work with Cailin who is doing an internship with Public Achievement. It was a little rainy but we are both fast walkers so we managed to get to where we needed to in about a half hour. When I got to the city hall I had to get a staff badge, which makes me feel pretty official now. Dave (my supervisor) met me in the main area at 10 so that he could show me where his/my office will be. Dave was the only one in the office yesterday so it was a pretty lack day with a lot of reading. There are three other ladies in the office as well, but I met them last Wednesday when we toured Belfast. After Dave took me around to the rest of the smaller departments within good relations we took a walk around City Hall so I could know where things are. But before I tell you about that I have to tell you that there is a legal department within the Good Relations department, and when I met them and told them I was a Political Science, Pre-law student they were ecstatic and told me I could do internship stuff for them as well if I wanted to, so Dave re did my schedule for the time I am here so that I will be able to get some experience with them as well. OK now back to the tour with Dave we basically just walked around and he showed me different ball rooms and offices (like the Mayor and the Councilors). After the tour we went to lunch at another City Council building (the building here isn’t big enough to house everyone, which I find funny because this building is huge, look at the picture). After lunch I took an official tour of the City Hall, which I had already seen most of at that time because of the tour with Dave. I of course had to go to the bathroom during the tour, so they had to call a “security” to take me there for security purposes, which I thought was funny for two reasons. 1. It is not secure at all I just walked in the first day and no one questioned where I was going. 2. I work there and had my ID on. Well when the security guy got there all he said was “O well she works here”. The City hall is very old and pretty it is completely made of seven types of Italian marble, and carpets that are so thick it is like no one walks on them. The ball rooms are so big and pretty (see pictures). After the tour I went to a meeting about murals with David, which was quite interesting to see how that whole process works. My day ended about 5PM I walked home, on the way home I came upon Cailin so we walked together.  

P.S. Pictures will be posted later

No comments:

Post a Comment