Tuesday, February 7, 2012


Today we left Corrymeela to go back to our flat in Portrush where I will be staying for the next four weeks. On our way out of Corrymeela we stopped at a little overlook place on the ocean. There we saw a house that is on a cliff that is detached from the country side. To get to the house u have to park your car and then walk over a bridge to get to the house (see pictures). Nigel told us that we will get to walk over that when we go back to Corrymeela for a couple of days at the end of the program. After we saw that then we went to Dunluce (pronounced done loose) castle which was just about a 15 min drive.  The castle was mostly fallen down but it was still pretty cool to see and get a tour of. One thing I found interesting about the castle was that underneath the castle there was a cave that you can boat or canoe through. The castle was detached from the main land so we had to cross a bridge to get to it. It was nice going to the castle because we were the only ones there so we did not have to worry about being in other peoples way.
Next we went into Bushmills town where we stopped at a grocery store to grab a snack because we were going to Bushmills whiskey factory next, and Nigel told us we can’t drink whiskey on an empty stomach and it was still too early for supper yet. So I grabbed a bag of chips (they don’t really have the same kinds that we do). The whiskey distillery is one of the oldest legal ones left in Ireland (although this one is in N. Ireland). We had a bit of time before our tour so we shopped around the gift shop, which had a lot of buy one get one free deals. Out tour was short sweet and to the point, just the way I like them. In the tour we saw how they make, distill, bottle, package, store, and ship the whiskey. I thought that it smelled like grape juice in the factory which I am told is probably not a good thing!! Of course at the end of our tour we got a free whiskey of our choice, and let me tell you all… that is some strong stuff on its own!!
After the tour we went downtown to get some lunch (this was the first time we have ate out). Nigel suggests that we all try some fish and chips, which is very popular to the people here. Even though I don’t like fish I LOVED the fish and chips. The chips however are actually fries. They give HUGE portions of food here for very cheap it only cost me five pounds to eat lunch today. I did end up eating most of my food but it was really greasy so I couldn’t eat it all. But needless to say I will be eating that here again!!






 Look at the bridge to the Cliff!!

 Almost the only truck in N. Ireland

























































 Bathroom hole




















Then finally we got back to Portrush where we stopped at a supermarket that YES was run by Wal-Mart (there every where) to get groceries and whatever else we needed. We were only supposed to be in there for half an hour but that turned into a hour and a half because we had no idea where things were, and there was no really order to the food like there is in the aisles in the states. Also just like Wal-Mart fashion it was PACKED in there. I bought my first bottle of alcohol there just to see if I would get carded and sadly enough I didn’t L but Nigel tells we they don’t really care what age you are here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment